Delegation is one of the most difficult but necessary workplace skills. Learning to delegate effectively is important because no one person can accomplish everything effectively. We have created a simple process to help you delegate better.
Job Aid: Four Steps to Delegating Tasks
- Evaluate the task and resources needed to manage it.
- Assess the opportunity and candidates for delegating potential.
- Assess the candidate’s readiness-skill ability and motivation to do the project, and consider how to match their style to avoid over-or under-managing.
- Discuss and plan the project.
- Clearly identify the goal or task using SMART goals with the candidate.
- Ask the candidate for feedback or questions, and provide any missing information to the
- Implement the project.
- Set up multiple feedback check-points with dates during the project.
- Complete the project
- Set up a due date with feedback for needed revisions.
That’s it! Next time you have to delegate, review these steps and watch your delegation improve!
Contact us via email or call 1-800-203-6734 to learn more about the importance of effective delegation.