There’s always room for improvement. Two-Minute Reads are a free tool you and your organization can use just for that reason.
According to John J. Gabarro and John P. Kotter1, managing your boss means “working with your superior to obtain the best possible results for you, your boss and the company”.
Here are 8 tips to help you effectively manage your boss.
1. Understand that you do not have to change your personality and neither does your boss.
2. Understand your boss’s strengths and weaknesses as well as your own.
3. Know what your boss’s communication and work styles are, as well as your own.
4. Understand the pressures and problems of your boss, as it will help you understand his or her motivation.
5. Know what your boss’s goals and expectations are.
6. Communicate your own expectations to your boss to find out if they are realistic.
7. Use all the information you’ve now collected to develop and manage a healthy working relationship with your boss.
8. Remember that your boss is imperfect and fallible, just like you.
1Gabarro, John J., and John P. Kotter. “Managing Your Boss.” Harvard Business Review 83, no. 1 (January 2005).
CLI provides coaching, training, and strategic planning services to help your business grow. Our expert, research-based design and facilitation skills will help develop more effective individual contributors, leaders, managers and supervisors, or strengthen teams and collaborative groups. We bring in the best content expertise and blend it with your culture and specific needs.
For more Two-Minute Reads, go to corplearning.com/resources/two-minute-reads
Love this Two Minute Read? Download it here: 8 Tips for Managing Boss
Contact us at email@example.com or at 800.203.6734